Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Fall Canning and a little bit of a tangent

Recently I have been really into canning. Not that I've done a ton but I am learning. A sweet lady in our ward let me pick some of her green beans and they turned out so pretty, I think. I also picked some cucumbers from her garden and got to can some relish. This was a lot of work but well worth it. One day I went over to Marci Haws house and canned applesauce and apple pie filling. The apples were so sweet we didn't even add any sugar to the applesauce. I remember helping my mom can things growing up and didn't really think anything of it but now that I'm a mom and working on food storage it really changes my perspective. I love how it feels when you put the month and year on the lid and proudly store them in you pantry. I was thinking about all that the pioneers went thru to even fix a meal and I feel like we owe it to them as sisters in zion to can and try our best to be resourceful and thrifty. I don't mean to be all mushy but I feel strongly about my women ancestors. I want them to look down on me and feel proud that I am their posterity. I want my kids to know how to make bread. I want my kids to come home from school to a warm plate of cookies and milk. I want all my kids friends to think I'm a good cook. I don't want my kids to grow up eating eggo's (or whatever they are called). I am a young mother and for that I am grateful because I have awhile to practice. I am just learning and hope to become better. I just have strong feelings for this, I want to thank my ancestors for what they went thru and for what they stood for. They were hard working women, who didn't just throw some pop tarts in the toaster. I hope I can be more like them.


4 comments:

Ashlee said...

Wow!! You are awesome! you'll have to teach me! We have really felt the need to start getting our food storage together too, I just don't quite know where to start. you are an inspiration. It's been a while since I checked your blog! Koby is getting so big! And CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so excited for you all! For Koby especially! I will be glad when the time is right for us to have another. Gideon would LOVE a playmate! HOORAY!!

Shea & Yvette Flake said...

Sweet Ashley, you amaze me! You are a great mom and wife. Your kids will grow up in such a good place because you are their mom. I am so proud of you! I love you!

Jo said...

WOW how fun was that. You are such a great example. and Congrats and the additional. You are a great mom.

svstuartfam said...

you go girl! I'm so impressed. Most people (me) just talk about doing stuff like this and never really do. But look at you! You ARE a good friend. keeping in touch goes both ways. I am really looking forward to seeing you tomorrow hopefully (at the football game).